BERLIOZ: This’ll be fantastic.
Sunday, May 5, 2019, 3 p.m.
Baldwin Auditorium, Duke University’s East Campus
This concert features:
- Danzas fantásticas, Op. 22, by Joaquín Turina
- “Sorella, cosa dici?” and “Prendero quel brunettino” from Così fan tutte, K.588, by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart
- Symphonie fantastique, Op. 14, by Hector Berlioz
Why we’re excited about it:
- We love the Spanish rhythms of Danzas fantásticas.
- “Sorella, cosa dici?” will feature the beautiful voices of sopranos Meredith Achey and Minji Kim.
- Berlioz’s epic Symphonie fantastique depicts the story of unrequited love, a march to the scaffold, and a funeral attended by ghosts, sorcerers, and monsters. It is truly thrilling to perform.
Get to know the music:
- Check out Leonard Bernstein’s guide to Symphonie fantastique, available in four parts on YouTube. Part 1. Part 2. Part 3. Part 4.
- We like this recording of Danzas fantásticas.
(Photo: Eric Monson)